for everybodyilovedies who said : “clearly you need to dedicate your next art to me sorry only apology I will accept”
well, there you go.
one grumpy cap drinking coffee and judging you
yes this suits me perfectly. :DDDD
we’re going in.
1000% canon exactly how dumbass armadillo Steve flies with his buddies yp
(Sam’s fucking FACEEEE It’s way to perfect)
Steve Rogers wearing calvin klein
Comic Positivity Week: Captain America Vol 3
Oh. My. GOSH. LET ME TELL YOU GUYS ABOUT CAP VOL 3.
This is the run in the late ’90s, written by Mark Waid, art by Ron Garney (and others). It is generally regarded as one of the top 5 Cap runs of all time. Waid’s run on it was issues 1-23, which is all I’ve read so far.
You can see more extensive posts on my love of Cap Vol 3 under my tag, but let me see if I can give you some of the highlights:
- Cap loses his shield in the 2nd issue, so this run features the positronic shield and Steve being SUPER SAD about this FOREVER.
- Sharon is WELL-WRITTEN in this arc, thank freaking GOODNESS. I haven’t read a ton of Sharon, so people who are bigger Sharon fans might be able to give you a better opinion on this? But out of what I HAVE read, Waid writes the BEST Sharon. She’s complex, she’s interesting, she has interests outside Steve, she’s a cynical SHIELD gal, but still gets suckered (reluctantly) into Steve’s idealism bc freaking Steve. They’re not dating in issues 1-23, and it’s actually really cute to watch her give him shit and them not to be all loved-up. If you’re a fan of Steve/Sharon, maybe this run won’t be for you, but for my money I’ve never liked Sharon more than this run.
- Clint is a fucking DOOOORKKKK oh my gooooshhh. Some of Clint’s dorkiest moments? Come from this run.
- This run really focuses on Steve’s American dream vs the reality of the world, and how Steve reconciles the two. Idealism vs cynicism is a big theme, and I like seeing Steve struggle with it. He’s not naive, but he does still want to pursue this kind of unachievable perfect image that exists probably only in his own mind.
- Some of my FAVORITE Steve/Tony moments come from this run. It’s always a thrill (for me at least) to see Steve/Tony moments I’ve seen out-of-context before show up in context in the comics I’m reading xDD
- Ron Garney’s art is fucking ADORABLE and I can’t STAND it I love it so much <3 <3 <3
For those of you who are SOMEHOW STILL DOUBTING that this run is AMAZE: Waid is also the guy who wrote my all-time FAVORITE Steve Rogers in Man out of Time. I just really love the way he writes Steve and his optimism and his hope for everybody. This is the guy who can believably write a Steve who sees the best in everyone, who inspires people. Yeah, he touches on the guilt and the (decidedly) neurotic need for perfection—which, don’t get me wrong, I LOVE seeing in Steve—but he doesn’t dwell on it. This is the unflaggingly hopeful Steve, and I just loved reading it.
Favorite Comics Week: Man out of Time (by Mark Waid)
My all time FAVORITE Captain America comic of all time is a single trade paperback by Mark Waid: “Captain America: Man out of Time”. Basically it’s the updated-for-the-21st-century story of Cap’s freezing, unfreezing, and first couple months getting his footing as an Avenger (since the original story happened in the 60’s, so, yeah, a little bit has changed since then).
Things to absolutely love about this comic:
- Steve being fascinated/thrilled with spaceflight as Tony takes him on a tour of the Smithsonean
- Steve being even mORE fascinated/thrilled/pleased/speechless over the Civil Rights movement and the changes he experiences first-hand in the 21st century.
- Steve being super sad over Bucky (okay but when is he NOT)
- Tony Stark (as Mr. Stark, not Iron Man—secret identity!!) introducing Steve to all the wonders of the 21st century, including cellphones, private jets, and Radiohead. Steve taking it all in stride and getting in a few teases at Tony’s expenses in return.
- Just. Steve. Being STEVE. And so sweet and wonderful. And Jorge Molina’s art!!!! He’s one of my favorite artists <3 <3
steve “cool dad” rogers
OH MY FUCKING GOSH I JUST PUT MYHAND TO MY MOUTH I WAS LAUGHING SO HARD THIS AWFUL AND AMAZING I LOVE IT
ahhh he’s so pretty!!
Steve in a well-fitted white dress shirt is my current sexuality.
holy gracious this art is my current sexuality hot DAMN Steve’s never looked so good!!
steve wouldn’t be anywhere without sam
look how fucking cute these two besties are. sam stop looking so smug at your own awesomeness you dork.